Cottage Rentals: let’s get SAUCY!!!
7 Condiments—Limitless Ideas (welcome kit)
I know it’s important to have things such as plates, pans, flat ware and glassware for cottage rentals guests. It makes the kitchen stocked appropriately. It’s also a very nice gesture and adds value if you offer items such as coffee, tea, sugar, salt and pepper. Heck, you could even add some basic spices on the shelf for guests. I also like to offer some bottled water and pop in the fridge for my rental guests. It makes the arrival that much easier to have a cold beverage waiting for you while the unpacking is happening.
There is another extra piece of value that I highly recommend for the summer months to add to your welcome kit for cottage rentals: CONDIMENTS! This might seem a bit unusual for some cottage rental owners; however, I have been thanked more than once by my guests for going the extra mile with a slew of options in the fridge for condiments. Let’s get saucy! And here are some great suggestions for your repertoire:
1. Heinz Ketchup. There is no other, seriously. And you would be astonished how many out of the way general stores run out of the most popular and biggest brand in condiments around the world. It is a great brand and it is a keeper. Always have a large bottle in your cottage rental fridge and you are sure to please the world.
2. French’s Honey Mustard. You notice I suggest the honey profile for flavour. It’s pretty simple. I market to families and I haven’t met a kid in my life that has not like Honey Mustard. It offers a very wide range of recipe options, and not just for lunch, dinner too.
3. Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce, or Panda Brand Premium Oyster Sauce. These are excellent options for ANY marinade base for the BBQ or stove top or oven, protein or vegetable. They offer an incredible amount of flavour and moisture setting to baste, grill, stir fry, sauté, and are sure to please the Foodie in your cottage rental guest list. (*does contain shell fish.)
4. Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Squeeze Bottle, and your ribs will never be better. They bring pork to a new dimension that goes above and beyond flavour. Add a bit of sugar, some pepper, and slow roast your pork. You will never forget the impact it will have with any protein product.
5. Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise, is there any other? This is a great starter for sandwiches and it really helps moms out on several different levels. I will often forget to pack margarine or butter, and suddenly need to throw together a sandwich for the kids upon arrival. The perfect burger in my mind, weather, meat, poultry or veggie is not complete without a dash of Mayo, a tomato and some lettuce. It’s just one of those things that all fridges must have in it.
6. Coca Cola, no I’m not kidding. This soft drink not only provides a refreshing thirst quencher, but it also has a really great ability at tenderising meat and sweetening up any marinade mix you decide to whip together. Add some spices like, red chilies, curry, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper. Leave your protein in it for 4 hours in the fridge and you will thank me. You’ll remember this one.
7. Lee Kum Kee Srirachi Chili Sauce. This is probably the only chili sauce you’ll ever need, and will ever buy again! It’s a great rub on wings or chicken, great to add some heat and a touch of sweetness to any stir fry or noodle dish you put together. But here’s another quick dip idea: add mayo and this Srirachi Chilli sauce together and you have a quick dip for any vegetable or appetiser in less than minute. You could also add some strong grainy mustard for a smoky flavour and use it for a sausage side sauce!
I was once a Chef in my previous life. And now when I shop, I always buy some extras for my cottage rentals to make my guests’ stay as complete as possible. They won’t forget us for the little extras we do for them!